Wednesday, April 14, 2010

This is what I know..

After spending several days out in colorado helping my mom gut and purge her little home, and then a week-end in sacratomato moving Kevin's parents stuff from their home of 50 years to an assisted living place I learned quite a few things!! First and foremost..STOP buying your parents JUNK. The accumulated kitsch is out-of-control!!! And you most likely aren't the only sibling adding to the pile every single holiday that rolls around. I am as guilty as the next well-intentioned kid, but I am determined to repent and reform! Parents are such tenderhearted people that they will not get rid of a single item.A few special pieces can be claimed as sentimental, but not EVERY SINGLE ONE !! The G-units are too far gone to change their ways..so it is up to you to cut back. Where is Koki, I know he would support me in this !! I keep telling my mom..stop spending money on gifts to family and give away some of your cool stuff that you aren't using anymore and someone else might enjoy. i am not advocating throwing things away-heck, give it to Amie and she can re-purpose it!! Take the added stress out of gift giving..simplify it all, give gifts of food or things they truly stand in need of. Give of yourself and a new memory. Help your parents, help yourself, help the earth. If you still aren't buying this go take a turn at gutting your parents or your own home and then you will see what I a talking about !!

2 comments:

Amie said...

Hooray for repurposing! :)

Sue said...

pretty sure none of my kids will be gutting and purging my house...