Monday, July 15, 2013

a memory that isn't quite mine

Went to Brianna's singles ward yesterday. It is in a cool old neighborhood, and as we pulled up I thought, what a lovely building. I have been swept off my feet with Salt Lake this visit.  I love it.  The city is charming and green - it has a definite soul. Her chapel somehow caught the Whole feeling.

It was built years and years ago. Long enough that it is now nestled among great trees.  The trees are marvelous.  When you live in the desert you Must have great big shade giving trees.

The musty smell that enters your nostrils immediately upon entering starts the memory that isn't quite mine.  But I will take it anyway.  I don't even know if I would call it renovated ,but it is clean and well maintained.  That part doesn't matter though because it is simply brimming with charm.

Why have the modern day buildings stopped putting in windows ?!  Not just a few, but banks of them. When you walk down the halls one side is completely glass and they all look out into a courtyard, a grassy courtyard with yet another big , old tree. Oh, and this particular site had a neat brick barbeque/fire pit built into the wall. If I was  a Beehive leader here I would hold all our activities outside here in this space.  Classes too.  I would even say sacrament meeting ..but then I walked into the chapel.

How Darling ( yes, that is the word I am going to choose ) is this main room ?! Large windows flank the one side , letting in light and even air if they wanted. ( I wish they had wanted.) The choir seats were at an angle , and filling out the corner in a triangular fashion.  They were not directly behind the podium. In fact,  the bishopric was seated far to the right because when they needed an overflow they opened up the metal curtain to the side not in the back.  It was a small chapel and this was just a singles ward, so I am sure it gets opened all the rest of the time. The wall decorations went along with this sliding theme. They were wooden slats put into geometric patterns, with an occasional atomic blue square thrown in. Which gave the suggestion of perhaps it was renovated at some point.

From my vantage point I couldn't help but visually wander off to the foyer. Huge floor to ceiling windows with mid century turquoise drapes that infused the whole room ( 9 am ) with a Wonderful light !  I would have loved to take a picture..but I doubt it truly could have been caught , and I Was in church ( tacky.)

Happened to be the ward conference and the bishop,patriarch and stake president were talking...and there was a lovely spirit to just cap off this experience. I was definitely in the right place at the right time

The closing hymn was "come,come,ye saints"...in an old chapel , in the tree lined streets of Salt Lake..perfect or what ? ( ok, sure it is July so the chances were pretty good this was going to be sung..but still..I'll take it. And make my own memory :)

No comments: