Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Books

Tamra Back asked on her incredibly popular facebook site, for her readers to make a list of the top 15 books that influenced their life. I must first comment that I don't do well on facebook, the blog is much more my style. Facebook is too brief..one liners are not my style. Apparently I am a rambler. Don't even ask me what I think of "twittering"..just odd. But the book question really got me thinking. Or rather,trying to think. Seems I not only have a hard time remembering the name of a book or it's author, let alone what books I have really,really loved. Hmmmm, both pathetic and sad. If you can help out this brain-deficient woman and remember any books that you know of that I thought were great - will you tell me and I will reread them!!

This is what I came up with.
1. "The Thornbirds" I remember it as the first saga that I could not put down. Father Ralph was an original hottie.
2."The World According to Garp" Red Flags all over the place ..but despite his love of swear words ,John Irving is one creative writer and I laugh and stand in awe of all his books that I have read.
3. "Seedfolks" a sweet little book that is So right on the mark!
4. "Esperanza Rising" wow and clever.
5. "Life and Death in Shanghai" no, I am not copying Tamra, we both read it for book club and claimed it a favorite.
6. " 1776" amazing - you go George!!
7. " Life of Pi" one of those in the,what-the-heck category that I love. Bonus points for being in Pondicherry,India.
8. "Under the Tuscan Sun" the book NOT the movie ( what a butchering of a beautiful,descriptive story ) I will move to Italy any day.
9. "The Secret Life of Bees"- Healing. Makes me want to run out and rub warm, honey all over wooden statues..it is That good.
10. "My Life in France" my latest favorite. Julia ,you nailed it. That book took me to France in 1950. A book I forced myself to read slower so that it would last longer. What a character, a hoot..and I love that she hails from Pasadena!!

I am not going to end this post..I am just going to add more as they come to me. Or, if like I requested , anyone can think of something I loved, please tell me.

1 comment:

Amie said...

I'm coming to visit you when you move to Italy. I just love Italy. And books. And friends who read books. :)