Sunday, June 26, 2011

" I don't speak parsel-tongue"








" There could be nothing more inspiring to an architect on this earth than this spot of pure arizona desert." Frank Lloyd Wright on seeing in 1929 - what is now - South Mountain Park. This is what lies directly behind our new home. I do love the desert..I always have. But the rattler killing Cindy and the subsequent scorpion infestation has thrown us all for a loop. I realize that every area has its particular critter "problem". I mean, we were killing giant spiders practically on a daily basis back in Utah. But there is something about venemous,stinging,striking, SCARY creatures that I am having a Really hard time coping with. I do not believe that they are God's creations. They snuck - or I should say - slithered in somehow.

Kevin is equally feeling the shudders-down-the-back with this problem. As usual, Kevin decided to literally attack it head-on. He got himself a black light and a scorpion killer spray that could Never be listed on any "green" list of household products. He has enlisted ( or enslaved ) Denver as his wingman, and they go out when it gets dark in search of the enemy. Scorpions are nocturnal, and when it is pitch dark and a black light is shined on them they actually glow in the dark. Just like a childs toy, but not quite as fun. If you know Kevin at all, you can imagine How Into this hunt he is. It doesn't help that we are currently watching "24" reruns and he thinks he is Jack Bauer throwing up his gun moves. The black light he purchased is top-of-the-line in scorpion warfare.Huge credit must go to Denver who absolutely abhors creepy crawlies. Such a loyal son/wingman. This is a nightly activity.

Back to Frank Lloyd Wright...I Needed his poetic words. I serendipitiously (thank- you Eyres ) found this book in the library the other day ( "FLW in Arizona") There are Many good things to be found here( like the library which has an amazing selection!!) Need to focus on the good. Remember the reasons I wanted to move down here.