Wednesday, September 28, 2011

September is prostate awareness month

And Kevin is the poster man for it !! He is cancer free and we are So grateful. I am considering deleting that -because obviously - " grateful" doesn't even begin to convey how " happy" ( not the best word choice either ) we are to have a healthy Kevin back with us. He would have surely slipped away from us with that aggressive time bomb inside of him. It is a thought I can not even consider ( ok, I did consider it a lot in the middle of the night!!) I just wish that everyone's battle with the nasty C could be dealt with in one operation. And please, don't take that as a trite comment..as it really is not meant as one. My brain and emotions are fried and I probably shouldn't even be writing on here.

But so many people have so wonderful in asking about Kevin and keeping him in their prayers..that I have to write somethig !

here is the update. We are already backnat the hotel. Kevin is doing good..but the day after surgery finds him in pain and discomfort. The discharge took forever and left him exhausted. We walked in our room and there was a big "edible arrangement" from his office coworkers. How thoughtful ! We are surrounded by lovely, concerned people ! Now we are here in The Henry for the next week healing.

I want to share a few stories from the past 36 hours. Henry Ford built this hospital in the early 1900's for the people of Detroit. As you drive down the Grand Blvd. You can tell that this was once a truly beautiful area. Old stately homes and grand civic buildings ( including the hospital.) But now the buildings are empty shells with all their windows broken. The houses that are occupied look like crack houses, or worse. It is just so sad to see. But, you know, that everyone we talked to ( and Devin, you would be Way proud of How many strangers I have struck up conversations with!) truly love Michigan and feel so badly about Detroit. I think that it is her citizens that will eventually save this motor city. Michigan pride..woot woot.

I remember how Trevor Back use to love working in the poorer areas when he was serving his mission here. But I am fairly certain that they still weren't allowed in this particular area. We arrived at the hospital at 5:45 am and sat down in the surgical waiting room. I use to think that they had Hollywoodized the waiting room on shows like "ER". Um, no..I think they filmed it here. Toto, I don't think we are in the American Fork hospital waiting room anymore ! SCARY. The pre-op was akin to the Ford assemble line we had seen the day before. Albeit, a ton more chaotic. I couldn't even tell you How Many people were jammed into this area. yeah, I was having some second and third thoughts about this decision to come here.But when I focused on how good and caring most of the people were being I eased up. The doctor and his team are mostly Indians and they were so gracious ( you know how I love all things Indian..this was a Good sign.) Quick kiss and Kevin was off, and I went back to the "ER" waiting room. I watched the people in this room and wondered about all their stories. A gal across from me was talking on her cell phone telling someone how her son was in surgery right now for a GSW ( "Law and Order"education.) I was there for awhile witnessing these kind of things when I was suddenly sidled away by a perky coordinator from the medical group to a special waiting room. Much nicer accommodations, boxes of pastries ( not the Albertson kind ) a retrieve stocked with drinks and other culinary delights, a computer to use,more magazine choices that an airport newsstand, and thisnpeky coordinator to cater to my every wish. I felt so guilty being in there and leaving those other people who could really have used this kindness way more than me. Ok..I am getting more sidetracked than a railroad station. Sorry.

The operation lasted about 2 1/2 hours. I knew he was out because the nurse in the OR kept calling me with updates and then ton tell me that the surgery was completed. I had asked before if I could be in the post op when Kevin came out and that was just fine. ut the perky one was stalling, " oh,we'll go in in just a few minutes." I wanted to be there when he woke up and I was rather frustrated. Sure enough when we went down He was awake. Acting different..but ok, he had just come out of anestsia . he would talk to me, but wouldn't make eye contact with any of the nurses. Odd, but evertone

No comments: